As part of their monthly newsletters, Each month Revo Hub will interview a retail expert to get their views on the market and industry tips.
First up is Neil Hockin, Director and Head of Shopping Centre Leasing at Lunson Mitchenall and a member of the Revo Operating Board.
1. What do you think the big topics for 2022 will be for retail property?
- The rating revaluation and transitional relief mechanism – the industry must work together to convince the Government to adopt a fair system that promotes investment in the retail sector, the end of transitional relief in England would be a good start
- End of the Covid rent moratorium – hopefully this will allow Landlords and Tenants to have open discussions about sustainable rent levels
- Stabilisation of retail investment values – we are seeing more retail investment sector activity which will allow incumbent owners to recycle capital and repay debt as new purchasers see value upside in the sector.
2. What is your career-related new year’s resolution?
Last year Lunson Mitchenall completed nearly 1,000 retail leasing, investment and professional transactions, we need to get better at reminding our current and potential clients of the strength of our team.
3. What would be your number 1 tip for someone starting out in their career in retail property?
The retail and leisure markets are moving in a positive direction so there is no better opportunity to get a good grounding in a fast-moving and dynamic sector.