REINVIGORATE – CROWNGATE SHOPPING CENTRE
Nominations Address: Friary Walk, Worcester, WR1 3LE
Involved Partners: We have worked with local community organisations to include Bike Worcester, Park that Bike, Evotech, Worcester City Council and West Mercia Police.
Project aim: To encourage and promote active cycle travel in the city centre, by offering a unique safe and secure bike parking facility, which is easily accessible 24/7 and offers on-site self-service repair facilities. The overall aim is to provide a city centre hub for all types of bikes, including cargo bikes, family bikes, trikes, tandem bikes and electric bikes.
Project achievements: The secure cycle storage has proven to reduce bike theft and encourage the use of cycling due to local cyclists having somewhere they can safely secure their bikes when visitinG the city centre, therefore reducing the number of cars being used to travel.
- We see approximately 75 bikes per day (over 27,000 visits to the unit per year) utilising the unit.
- Reducing carbon by reducing car journeys.
- We have seen footfall increase in the area.
- The facility was set up using LED technology.
- The bike stands were donated by local community groups.
- We have used repurposed fixtures and fittings.
- We have installed power for e-bike charging.
- The project has gained interest and social engagement from other organisations across the country
who have been inspired by the cycle storage and have since installed similar schemes.
- Free Bike Marking events by West Mercia Police and Worcester City Council have taken place in the
- Free hire of locks to secure bikes.
- Competition held to promote the opening of the unit with 1st prize for a family to win bikes and
Overall we found that there were 15,074 miles of car journeys saved over the course of the year just with the 62 cyclists we surveyed coming to and from Crowngate Secure Cycle Parking
62 Cyclists who use the Secure Cycle Facilities within Crowngate